I went to the temple and had a very interesting experience. I guess I can just say that I've been thinking a lot about my dad again lately. It will be the 2 year anniversary of his death in a little over a month. I know he visits us regualarly, and I have this unexplainable knowledge that he is working hard and loves what he's doing. I've just been really missing our conversations. Yesterday I had the urge to call him and have a long chat like we used to. I still expect him to be there. To hear his cheerful "Helloo! Oh Hi, Zeeeeee Beeeeee!" and let me hear his latest creation on the piano. Sometimes I just call home when I know mom won't be there just to hear his voice (still on the answering machine). I think we all do sometimes.
Anyway, I have been reading one of BJ's books called "The Life Beyond" by Robert L. Millet and Joseph Fielding McConkie. There are a couple of Quotes that give some great comfort when I find myself dwelling in my pity party of my dad's death (he would hate that any of us ever do that, by the way). One of which is:
"May I say for the consolation of those who mourn, and for the comfort and guidance of all of us, that no righteous man is ever taken before his time. In the case of the faithful saints, they are simply transferred to other fields of labor. The Lords' work goes on in this life, in the world of spirits, and in the kingdoms of glory where men go after their resurrection." --Joseph Fielding Smith (In his remarks at the funeral services for Elder Richard L. Evans)
I guess I just have the desire to let everyone know, that I really have such a strong conviction of the truth of that statement. Before I even read it or heard it, I had that manifested to me after his death. It doesn't change the fact that I'm sad he's not here for my kids directly, but I will do everything in my power to help them know him. To me, he sets a standard of all righteousness that I wish I could say I have met. The desires of his heart were consistently pure. He loved each of us unconditionally and was so willing to let us know that. His faith was truly immovable and I'm so blessed to be able to say that he was one who taught me by example and testimony what it really means to be a Latter Day Saint. To stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places, and to Judge in righteousness. To love everyone, and see the good in others. Most of all, to truly know and practice with the pure love of Christ. Anyway, I hope this is more uplifting than depressing. I guess it just creeps up on me once in awhile. I actually feel very fortunate to have had such a great life and to have had him for as long as I did. I'm really not sad. Just feeling sorry for myself a little bit. It comes and goes.
2 comments:
Yes, I think it does creep up on you every once in a while. Thanks for sharing. I loved your dad and think of him often. I can honestly say that my life has never been the same since his funeral. I just love your entire family.
I'm crying. Again. The quote was a wonderful reminder and your strength and testimony always uplifts me. Thanks for your example Lins. I love you!
Post a Comment