Thursday, August 20, 2009

House on fire!

So, we are moving back to Bountiful in 10 days to a great house with a nice big yard. Well, BJ called me the other day while he was at work and said, "There was a call to the fire department on the radio to [address] for a structure fire. I thought I'd better go see what was going on..." then he paused to see if I would get it. Then it dawned on me and I said,
"Is that THE house!?" He started laughing and said, "Yep. I thought you'd like to know our new house is on fire." I couldn't believe it. We're over here thinking, "What are the chances? We are supposed to move into that house in 3 weeks!" Don't worry though. It really wasn't on fire. The washing machine in the basement was smoking because something happened to the motor, but there were no flames and the house is fine. Thankfully we have our own washer and dryer (thanks to the North Ogden house) so it doesn't matter to us. Funny though.
The Lord really does watch over us and I have yet to see him take his eyes away, especially when it comes to housing. When we moved to Farmington, we prayed about it and felt very strongly that we were supposed to move to this house. After we moved in I starting trying to look around and see what in the world was so special about this house that we HAD to live here.
Then the day after we moved in the relief society president came over and I told her about Ethan's food allergies. She said, "Oh! There's another family in the ward with a little boy who has those same allergies!" This is not a common thing to run into. Yes, his food allergies are some of the most common, but they are not common in and of themselves, so I was really excited to meet the mother. I actually had been talking to her all day at church the day I found out who she was and didn't even realize it. She was very excited to meet someone who was going through the same thing in person, as well, and we exchanged information. Her son even had almost exactly the same level of severity on each one!
She was moving 2 weeks later and I never saw her again, so we were very fortunate to have met when we did. Shortly after that... like that week. BJ called me to tell me that he'd just received a phone call from a bank saying that the house we were living in had been forclosed on and they wanted to pay us to leave quickly. They came over to the house and we had a little meeting and found out that they won't be collecting rent, and will pay us $500 to move within 60 days. We pushed it out as far as we could (RENT FREE!) and take the $500. I can't even begin to tell you what a blessing that is for us.
This also helped us make the decision to wait until next year to purchase a home because it will have been 3 years since we sold our house in North Ogden, making us first time homebuyers again. After many fruitless searches in the past to find a home to rent that would meet our needs, we found one within a week after coming home from Hong Kong. The Lord is always there, he is always guiding us. What great evidence that all things come from him. ALL THINGS! Isn't it great to know that we'll always be taken care of when we put him first?

4 comments:

Alexie said...

I'm so glad things have worked out so well for you guys! That's awesome! I agree, S and F do need to move closer! :)

Brittney said...

Wow lins! I am so grateful you shared that! The Lord really does watch over us! And what a great testimony to that! I too have had experiences where the Lord has had a hand in where we moved. Even though some crazy things have happened close to us, I knew we were needed in our small branch. It was almost as if I could feel the spirit of the branch as we were looking at our apt. Good luck in moving and I am so glad that the house didn't actually catch on fire!! Also so glad you had that lady in your ward to talk to about allergies- what a blessing!
Speaking of Allergies thank you so much for your comment on my blog! I appreciate your support so much. Do you have the numbers or names of those allergists? Let me know thanks!

Melinda said...

oh man close call! Looks like you've had a great summer!

dersley said...

The house that you are moving into looks cute even with the firetruck in front. I love all the little blessing that come into our life if we choice to see them.