Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hong Kong Part 3

Day 3 we were off to Ocean Park. It's sort of an amusement park that is dedicated to saving wild life and the rain forest, ocean and anything else you can think of. Part of your admission actually gets donated to one of those things, I can't remember which. (Sheesh! I'm having a hard time spelling these days)
It was actually pretty cool because this place is waaay more popular than Disneyland (so far). Everyone that was going in was so excited to be there and take picures with the characters (all endangered species of some kind), which were actually (I think) mechanized! They weren't real people and they were walking around like they were. That was cool. That reminds me, there was a garbage can that was talking to people at Disneyland. It was actually pretty funny. We got some video of it. Too bad I can't post it.
So, it was cool that this kind of a theme park was so popular. I thought it said a lot of the people of this area in the world. There was virtually a small zoo inside the park, something that I mentioned to BJ on the train ride over that I would like to see, seeing as we were in China and we could probably see some cool stuff. Well, Ocean Park didn't disappoint. As you can see by our first pics of the day, we were able to see a few real giant pandas.
These pandas were actually rescued from an earthquake that destroyed their refuge in 2002(?). One of them died. They had pictures of the before and after. It looked like these ginormous boulders rolled down the mountains and basically buried their home. It was really sad. This panda that we have pictures of is my age. Seriously. Born in 1983. I can't remember his name, though. This was definately a highlight of our trip. I've never seen real pandas before. We also saw the chinese red pandas in a separate area.
I don't think we got pics, though. Wait, nevermind. Here it is. You have to look kind of hard to see them because they are sleeping.
Here are the Chinese Aligator (right) and Chinese Salimandar (left). The aligators were really small.
The Salimandar was the coolest of the two. The info on it said that they lived among the dinosaurs and are by far, the largest salimandars on the Earth today.
They had every species of goldfish imaginable. I had to get a pic of some chubby ones. They were so weird looking. As we kept looking they got weirder and weirder. It was crazy! I've never seen anything like it. These were fairly mid-sized compared to the rest. We saw the giant ones out in a pond outside, but we'd also seen those in Hawaii before (I think maybe my Aunt V has(d) one, too.
Ocean Park has two parts. There is a lower park that where the wildlife is a bunch of fun stuff for little ones (Livi would've loved it). Then there is an upper park that is more geared toward adults and teens. You have to ride a cable car to get there, a surprisingly fearsome thing... not as cool as the crystal cabin, of course, but we had a nice view of the bay. So this is us in line for that.
This is evidence of my undying love for my husband. I went on a ride with him called "The Abyss". Much like "The Rocket" at Lagoon. Having gone on the rocket before, I wasn't anxious to do it again, but it really wasn't so bad (I think they actually controlled the drop instead of just dropping like on the rocket because I could actually scream on this one. I couldn't scream on the rocket because of the velocity). I made sure we weren't sitting on the side that faced the ocean because the ride was on the cliff side of the mountain. I don't think I could've done that. Apparently thrill rides are not big there. They were the shortest lines we ever ever saw. Soooo the opposite here, don't you think? Then again, the US is kind of the thrill ride capital of the world. We also went on a roller coaster called the dragon. The worst roller coaster I've ever been on. That's all it deserves.
I bet you'll never guess what this is. A mariachi band! HAHAHA! This was the opening act for the water show (like sea world). BJ looks at me and says, "I went to China to get away from Mexico!" lol. So hilarious.
(This comment is derived from his mission to San Diego. He thinks of Mexico, he thinks of Tijuana--not that he went there, obviously against mission rules, but you know... just to clarify)
Here are just a few highlights of the show. This is another funny thing we observed. We stumbled on this auditorium inside the park and thought it would be fun to see a show so we went in to get some seats. Everyone was sitting waaaay up at the top and nobody was sitting in the front.
We're thinking, "Awesome! Front row seats!" so we took 'em. The auditorium literally filled up back to front, and was completely filled by the time it started. Isn't that weird? I told BJ it was like Church.
(He loves to sit in the front, so even if we are late, we will take the front row bench. Many of you may cringe at that thought, but I actually love it about him. We come, and I'm confident we will be blessed for our efforts. Okay, totally off subject! Typical me) We didn't stay for the whole show because I started getting too hot and we were worried about heat stroke, so we headed back to the hotel.
On our way back to the hotel we saw a decepticon. Looks like they need to revamp their gear. Okay seriously, the only domestic type cars we saw were toyota or izuzu, and they were all public transportation or worker cars. Every car we saw other than that was like really nice, like... really, we're talking, Mazarati, Jaguar, Rolls Royce...etc. We (for a 1/2 second) thought about getting a ride to the airport in one, just to be in it. All cars were clean. I hear this is not typical of China. More just Hong Kong and Singapore (not in China, but close to it :))
We headed to the roof top pool for a quick dip after Ocean Park and relaxed for awhile. I had a nice little chat with an Aussie lady. We saw absolutely no Americans until the last day, that story will come. It's funny... seriously.
This is the view from our room. We were upgraded to a room with a partial harbor view after we told them we were on a second honeymoon. We could still see some of the buildings from the laser show, but we couldn't see the actual show from our room.
Tired BJ is ready for bed. Meeee tooo. It was a long day of lots of heat. We were planning on swimming all day because we'd heard Ocean Park also had a water park. Not the pool for the dolphins, but with actual water slides and stuff, so we were a little bummed, but we still had fun over all. So that's the end of Day 3. More to come!

1 comment:

Jones Family said...

Wow that looks like an amazing adventure!! I love the pictures of the Panda Bears. We are just getting ready to celebrate our 5 year anniversary, but we'll probably just do the typical dinner and a movie haha. I'm glad you had such a great vacation, you deserve it!!