Just a little reminder to keep and extra eye out! Don't read it if you feel like you won't be able to handle it. (Not graphic, all have happy endings, even, but as a mother, it really hits home).
There have been a few incidents in Bountiful that give us the terrible reminder that summer, though fun, is also a very dangerous time of year. Along with the little boy in our old ward (who by the way, last I heard, woke up, doesn't know his family, is doing physical therapy to walk again, but all of his therapy is going really well. I'm so glad he made it and hope that he makes a full recovery.), the other day there were 3 separate incidents within 4 hours of each other in Bountiful. The first was a little boy playing in his back yard on the swing set. A tree fell over and hit a power line which then fell onto the swing set and electricuted him. the burn went out of his head and his foot. He was flown to Primary's where he was in critical condition and expected to live. I haven't heard an update about that case. The second happened about an hour later. A little boy just about 1 year old somehow got outside and crawled into the driveway where his teenage brother backed the car over his little head. He was also flown the Primary's in critical condition. He is now doing surprisingly well. The doctors say he is making a miraculous recovery unlike anything they have ever seen. I believe he was also the recipient of a priesthood blessing. This was also the family of a South Salt Lake Police Officer. The third came out about an hour and 1/2 later. A 2 year old little girl was missing and they found her at the bottom of the swimming pool in the back yard. She was also flown to Primary's in critical condition. Last I heard she was expected to live as well.
Anyway, BJ came home from hearing about these with a new mind set on protecting our children. A new rule that we have implemented, especially now that Sam is living with us, is that we back into the garage and driveway to park. It's less likely that a child will go unnoticed if you are not backing out. That doesn't make it fail safe, but it is a little better. I thought I'd pass it along to any who may also like to adopt the practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment