Tuesday, September 21, 2010

He Listens

It's been quite the month for us. Well, for me. Of course, my husband works graves one month out of this whole year and it happens to be the month that Livi starts preschool, dance/tumbling lessons, Livi floods the basement, moths infest my house, Livi's new box of clothes from cousin Essie arrive, a plethora of family events and affairs come together, E-Bear breaks his finger... and my husband is working his butt of and sleeping to make up for it, and going to school, and working over time, which means virtually we lose a month in the trying to have a baby scheme of things. My life really isn't so bad. Really, it's not. Okay, it has it's stressful moments, but I'm not losing my mind and am doing just great in spite of it all. Really! I don't think I've ever been nicer to my kids. lol. Somehow it works well for my attitude to have major stress. It's just a really good example of the Lord humbling his children so they are reminded of his matchless power. I'm humbled. Truly. I've had some serious thoughts and prayers offered up for people I know exist, but have always wondered how to help. Now I know. Prayer is so great. Such a quiet strength. It's power is beyond my comprehension and I'm so grateful that I can help anyone on the earth just by offering my simple prayer for them.

On the flipside, I do have the occasional melt down, but mostly because I'm missing my partner in crime. Wishing he didn't have to do so much to keep me home. Which makes me think of all the lonely people in the world. How they must feel, and knowing that even in those dark times, Heavenly Father is there for us to buoy us up. He is completely aware of each one of us and our feelings at every given moment. The more I think about that, the more I become keenly aware of it, and the fact that he truly does understand.

I realized what it is about us women (well, at least me) that makes men say, "She doesn't want me to solve her problem. She just wants to talk." It's not just the listening. It's the "getting". I don't want someone to just listen to me and be annoyed, looking at their watch wondering when in the world does this girl ever shut up. I just want someone to really listen to what I have to say. Mull it around in their heads without a thought to their perspective and try to put themselves in my shoes... and understand. All I'm asking for is a little understanding. That's it. A little empathy, a little validation, and you've just made my whole day. That's what Heavenly Father is there for. I need to be better at doing just what I said here for other people, because I'm not perfect and am often thinking of the laundry I need to do, or the dishes I have to load while someone is pouring their heart out to me. But Heavenly Father is perfect. He is there to understand. So if you, like me, have a rough couple of weeks, probably even worse, (I mean, c'mon. There are definitely some greater challenges in the world that befall others, and this too shall pass) Remember he is there, waiting to hear from you, waiting to understand you and speak peace to your soul. (happy sigh) Now. Isn't that wonderful?

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

All I can say is that I understand. This isn't a club anyone signs up for, but I think there is comfort in knowing we aren't alone :)